The Miami Beach Cultural Arts Grant Program was originally created in 1998 as an essential component of the mission of the Miami Beach Cultural Arts Council, which is to develop, coordinate, and promote the arts in the City of Miami Beach community. Since the program’s inception, the City of Miami Beach Mayor and Commission and the Cultural Arts Council have awarded approximately $18 million in cultural arts grants, supporting thousands of performances, exhibits, and other cultural activities in Miami Beach. The grants program is managed by professional staff from the City of Miami Beach’s Department of Tourism and Culture division of Cultural Affairs.
The Cultural Arts Grant Program has two separate application phases: (1) Intent to Apply (Pre-Application) and (2) FY 20/21 Full Application for Cultural Anchors and Cultural Presenters.
(1) Intent to Apply (Pre-Application)
The Cultural Arts Council distributes $850,000 annually to nonprofit, 501 (c) 3 cultural organizations and cultural departments within institutions of higher learning (colleges or universities) with tax-exempt status under other subsections of 501 (c) 3 wishing to present or produce cultural and artistic events within the City of Miami Beach. Organizations applying through a “fiscal agent” are not eligible. Organizations which received funding during the prior year but did not comply with the Grant Agreement and/or other requirements of the Cultural Arts Grant Program are ineligible to apply for FY 20/21 grant funding. Additionally, organizations which received funding from the Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority (VCA) during the same fiscal year are not eligible to apply.
Intent to Apply (Pre-Application) will be available online Monday, January 6, 2020, 8:30 am at https://miamibeachfl.gosmart.org/. The Intent to Apply (Pre-application) deadline is Friday, January 24, 2020 at 5:00 pm. This deadline is strictly enforced and is mandatory to qualify for Cultural Arts Council Grant Funding. There will be no exceptions.
All on-line application submissions must include the following documents:
- Organization’s 501 (c) (3) Letter of Determination (tax-exemption status) dated within the past two years. Updated letters can be obtained via fax and mail by calling the Internal Revenue Service at 1-877-829-5500. Please note that nonprofit corporations are required to be registered with the Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, per the Solicitation of Contributions Act, https://csapp.800helpfla.com/csrep/, under Charitable Organizations.
- Signed IRS Form 990 reflecting the organization’s prior year budget.
- Current Board Membership with contact information for each member
- Current Staff List with brief biographies for each staff member
- Most up-to-date Organizational Chart Organizational Chart for 20/21
(2) FY 20/21 Full Application for Cultural Anchors and Cultural Presenters
Organizations with major preeminent and smaller arts institutions physically based in the City of Miami Beach, whose primary mission is year-round artistic and cultural programming that contributes significantly to the cultural life of the City of Miami Beach. Cultural Anchor organizations include Oolite Arts, The Bass Museum of Art, Jewish Museum of Florida, Miami City Ballet, Miami Design Preservation League, Miami New Drama, New World Symphony, Miami Beach Urban Studios (MBUS-FIU), Wolfsonian – FIU, Holocaust Memorial Committee, Miami Beach Film Society, Miami Beach Garden Conservancy (Miami Beach Botanical Garden), Miami Dade Public Library, O Cinema, The Rhythm Foundation, and University of Wynwood (O,Miami).
Maximum Request Amount:
- $25,000 for Cultural Anchors with annual organizational budgets below $750,000
- $30,000 for Cultural Anchors with annual organizational budgets between $750,000 and 3.5M
- $35,000 for Cultural Anchors with annual organizational budgets at or above $3.5M
Organizations whose primary mission is to produce and present cultural and artistic productions in City of Miami Beach for the following disciplines: film, multi-disciplinary, theater, visual arts, dance, music and opera. Proposed projects should be for work that is new or has never before been presented in Miami Beach. Organizations receiving Cultural Presenters Grants are chosen based on demonstrated artistic talent and potential, and the vision for the proposed project in relation to their overall artistic goals. Proposals must reflect a high level of integrity, strategic planning, and a focused sense of direction.
Maximum Request Amount: $20,000 for Cultural Presenters
Grant applications are scored and awarded based upon available program funds, which for FY 20/21 is $850,000 in total.
Each grant applicant must follow an extensive multi-level public review process. This includes a general orientation and consultation for all new applicants with Cultural Affairs staff. Applicants must meet all application requirements, including deadlines, or the application will be disqualified. A mandatory dollar for dollar ($1 to $1) match is applicable to all grant programs. Grant applicants must demonstrate this match through cash, other matching grants and/or In-Kind contributions (In-Kind contributions not to exceed 25% of total cash project budget). The Cultural Arts Grant Program should not be the sole source of funding. Applicants are encouraged to explore additional funding sources such as the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs (305-375-4634); Florida Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs (850-487-2980); and private sources.
An organization may submit only one grant application each grant year. Applications will be scored by the Cultural Arts Council at a Panel Meeting (please see 2020-2021 grant timeline below). An application must score a minimum average of 80 points or higher at the Panel meeting to be eligible to receive funding. Funding distribution will be decided at the regular Cultural Arts Council meeting on Thursday, July 9, 2020. These initial funding recommendations are submitted to the City of Miami Beach’s Mayor and Commission for final approval during the City’s annual budget hearing in September 2020. Upon final approval of the grant awards, grantees are required to complete and sign a grant contract. The grant contract details information regarding approved project and includes itemized project and grant award budgets. These contracts also contain provisions for monitoring, performance and enforcement, which are implemented by the Cultural Affairs staff
2020-2021 Grant Timeline
- FY 20/21 Intent to Apply (Pre-application) available online: January 6, 2020
- FY 20/21 Intent to Apply submission deadline: January 24, 2020
- FY 20/21 Full application available online: January 27, 2020
- FY 20/21 Full application submission deadline: February 14, 2020
- FY 20/21 Full application correction period: February 17, 2020 – February 28, 2020
- FY 20/21 Full application resubmission deadline (corrections only): March 6, 2020
- Cultural Affairs Council Panel Meeting for Cultural Anchors: April 2, 2020
- Cultural Affairs Council Panel Meeting for Cultural Presenters Group 1: May 7, 2020
- Cultural Affairs Council Panel Meeting for Cultural Presenters Group 2: June 4, 2020
- Cultural Affairs Council meeting to approve grant funding for FY 20/21: July 9, 2020
- City Commission Budget Meeting: End of September 2020
- Mandatory Grant workshop for FY 20/21 funding: September 25, 2020
- FY 19/20 Final Reports Due: October 16, 2020
Note: The City of Miami Beach Department of Tourism and Culture, Division of Cultural Affairs reserves the right to make changes in meetings dates and times as deemed necessary.
FY 20-21 Full Application Documents
- Grant Application Data Sheet | Download
- Proposed Programming | Download
- Current Programming | Download
Venue waivers are available for nonprofit arts organizations that will present performing arts activities in Miami Beach. These performing arts activities include: dance, film, theatre, opera, and music.
Community Benefit Fund Fee Waivers for The Jackie Gleason Theater at the Fillmore Miami Beach
The Cultural Arts Council may issue up to 24 rental waivers per calendar year to qualified nonprofit organizations for use of the Jackie Gleason Theater and/or backstage at the Fillmore Miami Beach.
Community Benefit Fund Rent Waiver Application Fillmore
Community Benefit Fund Fee Waivers for Theater at the Colony Theater
For Theater Only
The Cultural Arts Council may issue up to 12 rental waivers per calendar year to qualified nonprofit organizations for use of the Colony Theater.
Community Benefit Fund Rent Waiver Application Colony Theatre
Rent Waiver Program for Soundscape Wall
The Cultural Arts Council may issue up to 10 grants annually for the use of the Soundscape projection wall and sound system to qualified nonprofit organizations. Restrictions apply.
SoundScape Wall Rent Waiver Application
Community Benefit Fund Fee Waivers for the North Beach Bandshell
The Cultural Arts Council may issue up to 12 rental waivers per calendar year to qualified nonprofit organizations for use of the North Beach Bandshell.
Community Benefit Fund Fee Waiver for the North Beach Bandshell