- This event has passed.
In Studio with Oolite: Drawing Fundamentals
September 24 @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
The drawing process has neither a beginning nor an end. As soon as a mark is laid, all the possibilities become evident. The aim of this course is to teach students, either beginner or intermediate, the act of drawing; a process where perception and technique become inseparable from each other.
During this 4-week course, students experiment with the media and techniques used to create a variety of two-dimensional (2-D) artworks through the development of skills in drawing. Students practice, sketch, and manipulate the structural elements of art to improve mark making and the organizational principles of design in a composition from observation.
This course will explore a variety of drawing elements; line, contour line, cross-contour line, shape, form, proportion, composition, mark-making and spatial perspective. Even though these aspects of drawing must be taught isolated from each other, a drawing can only exist between the relationships of these elements. Through practice and revision, students will develop their own unique vocabulary of drawing marks and expressions. This course includes a variety of both dry and wet drawing techniques.
Upon completing this drawing course students will be able to:
- Develop a full range of drawing skills and mark-making vocabulary
- Develop and apply accurate perceptual drawing techniques
- Apply 2D design principles to the drawing medium
- Able to make informed choices about drawing tools and materials
- Develop and apply critical thinking and vocabulary skills
- Through the critique process, students evaluate and respond to their own work and that of their peers.